Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Rome Oct. 18-19

First of all, this is a photo of the amazing yarn shop that my friends and I have been heavily patronizing. They have every kind of yarn you can imagine, and since they spin most of it themselves, it's really affordable. I'm going to miss it.








Here is proof that I made it to the Vatican Museums. That's me and the Apollo Belvedere. 

When we got to the museum, as one may have predicted, there was a line down the street at least a kilometer long. And the Sistine Chapel was closing at 1:00pm. So, along with the other thousand people in that line, we rushed through the Vatican to the end where the Sistine Chapel is. I have never felt so herded, so moronic, so totally dehumanized in my entire life. For safety reasons, nothing like this would happen at home.  There were wayyyy too many people in that museum. Had there been an emergency, we'd all have squashed each other to death.

So after recovering in the poorly lit, Pepsi-sponsored Vatican cafe, we ventured back through the museum. The Sistine Chapel rush was gone, and we were able to take this photo in the peacefully empty Belvedere Courtyard.


Then Sunday, after an extravagent lunch at Babbington's, an English tea room at the foot of the Spanish Steps, I scurried up to the Villa Giulia Museum, Rome's Etruscan museum.

This is a photo of an Etruscan temple replica in the museum's garden.





And this is the impressive view from our balcony (!!) at the hostel Saturday night.