Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Weekend

The Siena Archeological Museum is in the underground tunnel system of a medieval hospital. Possibly the coolest museum I've ever been to. 











In the Siena museum: this is what I'm learning to do in my archeological conservation class. In the Italian style. In the States, those pots in the back would have been given complete rims. 

I won't be able to post photos of any pots I work on, because photographs of them are property of the state. I could get fined. This is as close as it's going to get.





After going all that way only to discover that the Museo delle Navi in Pisa was closed for restoration, I took this photo of a Roman bath and went home.










And this proves I went to the lovely Cortona museum

















I just got back from the train station. I was helping some friends book tickets. It was the end of the day and the ticket guy didn't speak much English, so he was getting frustrated. In a wild frantic whirlwind, I spewed out more Italian than I have in my entire life. It was full of incorrect-ness, but it happened. And he said, "ho capito".

Then last night I went to the Irish pub place to get on the internet and this 30-something guy hit on me. He wanted me to guess where he was from. Speaking English with an American accent, I guessed several countries before Germany. He told me he was the Germanest-German I'd probably ever met, how could I not tell. I told him I was also quite a German-German. He asked me what my last name was. He was shocked. We were both Werners. He showed me I.D. to prove it. And he was from Frankfurt... which I believe is where the family is from. After he realized we were probably cousins, and that we both flared our nostrils while we talked, he backed off a little. Small world. 

RyanAir has charged me twice for the same flight and I lost 20 euro in the machine at the train station. Pray for me.